As a general rule, all of us like to show off a healthy smile. Achieving this fact is not impossible, but to achieve it requires certain habits related to dental care.
If we relax with these daily habits, bacteria can appear in our mouth that can lead to the acquisition of the dreaded cavities. But… What are cavities?
Cavities are the deterioration produced in the enamel or the surface of the teeth, it is the consequence of the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth that give off a kind of acid that is harmful to the teeth. Treating them in time is key to not obtaining the worst outcome: tooth loss or having to resort to orthodontics or implants …
At Gross Dentists we know that preventing and / or fighting cavities is essential to maintain optimal oral health. For this reason, we want to offer certain recommendations that we are sure will be very useful, such as teaching you what are the foods that help us fight cavities.
Foods that help fight cavities
A priori, thinking that there are foods that help us fight cavities may seem somewhat surprising. But the truth is that they do exist.
Just as there are foods that promote cavities such as: soft drinks, sweets, French fries, sweets, etc. There are also foods that help us fight cavities.
- Green tea: Thanks to its antioxidant power, it prevents the ability of bacteria to act, reduces the acidity of saliva and dental plaque.
- Citrus fruits (lemons, limes and oranges): They provide vitamin C, calcium and contain less sugar in relation to other fruits. In addition, consuming citrus fruits combats the accumulation of tartar and whitens the teeth.
- Cheeses: Dairy products are key to preventing cavities. It is an essential food that boosts saliva production and helps rebuild tooth enamel.
- Vegetables: There are vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower, cabbage or spinach that promote the elimination of bacteria that cause cavities in the mouth.
- Blue fish: There are fish that, thanks to being high in vitamin D, facilitate the maintenance of teeth. In this section we can highlight the tuna, salmon or sardines.
Habits that prevent cavities
Preventing cavities is key to avoiding severe oral problems. To achieve this prevention, it is essential to acquire certain daily habits that will undoubtedly improve oral health.
Starting from the base, it is essential to carry out proper oral hygiene every day, by brushing teeth. We recommend that it last for at least 2 minutes, use dental floss to eradicate plaque between the teeth, use mouthwash and change your toothbrush every three months.
Another habit to keep in mind is to avoid the consumption of sugary drinks and foods, it is better to replace them with water and a healthy diet, such as the aforementioned foods that help fight cavities.
Alcohol and tobacco are very harmful to teeth, if you want to enjoy a healthy mouth free of cavities … Avoid them!
To all these habits we must add the need to periodically visit the dental specialist, the reviews are very important to check that your mouth is healthy, and to treat it if it is not.
Gross Dentists: Specialists in treating cavities
At Gross Dentistas we are specialists in all dental treatments, including, of course, cavities. We have the best professionals in Malaga and our experience guarantees our success and excellent results as a Malaga dental clinic.
We hope that the article on what foods help us fight cavities has been of great help to you in acquiring healthy habits, both for your mouth and for your body.
However, if you need more information on this matter or on any other, contact us or make an appointment. At Gross Dentistas we will solve your doubts and we will gladly assist you.