In the broad spectrum of oral care, we cannot overlook the soft, delicate skin that frames our smile: the lips. Dry lips, in addition to being an aesthetic concern, often signal imbalances in oral and general health. Join us in this detailed article through the underlying causes of dry lips and discover effective strategies to protect and repair this area of your face. At our dental clinic in Malaga, we are committed to providing you with practical tips and treatments to maintain healthy and beautiful lips, trust us to guide you to a radiant smile!
Causes of dry lips
Dry and chapped lips are a common nuisance, especially during the winter when the weather tends to become drier.
However, there are a number of causes that also trigger dry lips, which we will explore below.
– Complex physiology of the lips: Lips have a unique structure; they are thinner compared to other areas of the skin and lack sebaceous glands, making them prone to dryness and more sensitive.
– Impact of cold weather: Low temperatures and winter winds can strip the skin of its natural oils, resulting in dry, chapped lips.
– Influence of cosmetics: Choosing conventional lip products that contain irritating ingredients can exacerbate dry lips.
– Harmful habits: Biting the lips, or moistening them with saliva, either out of nervousness or as an unconscious habit, can aggravate dryness and cause injury.
– General body dehydration: Lack of body hydration directly affects skin health, including that of the lips. Drink at least 2 litres of water a day.
Protecting and repairing dry lips
To care for chapped lips, there are several measures you can easily replicate.
Use lip balms or moisturisers that contain ingredients such as shea butter, almond oil or vitamin E, as well as sunscreen. Opt for products designed specifically for sensitive lips and avoid those with potentially harsh ingredients. Hydrate the body internally too – drinking water nourishes the skin all over the body.
Control harmful habits
Not biting your lips or moisturising them is essential to allow healing and prevent further damage, especially in harsh climates.
Hyaluronic acid treatment
A leading option for achieving well hydrated and nourished lips is the use of hyaluronic acid, a component that has become an invaluable ally in the world of lip care. For those looking for more immediate and long-lasting results, hyaluronic acid injections can be performed by our professionals.
Avoid tobacco and coffee
Smoking contributes to dryness and can irritate the lips, so consider giving up this habit to benefit skin health. Coffee and other substances cause dehydration in the body, so use with caution.
Specialist night care
Applying a thicker lip balm before bed can boost the repair process overnight.
There’s nothing like the power of nature to revitalise and nourish our lips. Consider incorporating natural solutions into your lip care routine to boost hydration. Coconut oil and cocoa butter, rich in antioxidants, is another natural option that not only deeply moisturises, but also provides a pleasant fragrance.
Gentle exfoliation is a beneficial practice to combat dry lips. However, it is crucial to do it in moderation, avoiding the risk of irritation.
If you would like more information, you can make an appointment here or contact us without obligation.