Currently, it is more than proven that eating a balanced and nutritious diet is a crucial factor for enjoying a healthy life.
Consuming certain foods can endanger our health. In the same way, choosing the food we eat properly plays a fundamental role in preventing oral pathologies and infections, such as cavities or gum disease.
However, free and leisure time is associated with the enjoyment of foods that are normally harmful to our oral health. Taking care of your mouth, teeth and gums is a fact that must be present in our lives to guarantee, as we have mentioned before, our healthy life.
At Gross Dentistas we are aware of the importance of eating healthy food. But… What foods harm your oral health? We present it to you below.
Foods that harm your oral health
There are foods that promote the appearance of cavities in the mouth, due to the accumulation of harmful bacteria and microorganisms that are deposited on the teeth. The consequences can be severe, since it can cause the wear of tooth enamel.
The food that has sugar or starch are the main protagonists of this outcome. For this reason, if you want to enjoy strong and healthy teeth, avoid eating these foods that harm your oral health:
- Hard and sugary candies are a great danger, because they affect both enamel and oral health.
- Juices, soft drinks and sports drinks are high in sugar and acid. Try replacing them with water with a touch of fruit or vegetables to give it another flavor.
- Sweets, cakes, cookies and pastries are made with a lot of sugar and cause many problems for both teeth and gums.
- Ice creams have a high glucose content and, in addition, ice increases dental hypersensitivity.
- French fries have a high level of starch, which favors the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth.
- Nuts are usually hard. For this reason, they damage the enamel of the teeth and also cause the production of acids. It will always be better to opt for fresh fruit.
It is recommended not to take this type of food often to preserve oral health, and with it, health in general.
Tips to promote oral health
As we have seen, choosing one food or another properly is key to enjoying a healthy mouth. Similarly, it is important to carry out a series of daily guidelines related to hygiene and tooth brushing. For this reason, we show you the following tips to promote oral health.
- Brush your teeth at least three times a day after each meal.
- The duration of brushing should be around 2 minutes.
- Use mouthwash to more effectively eliminate bacteria deposited in the mouth.
- Use dental floss to combat food debris that may remain between the teeth.
- It is recommended to use a dental irrigator to have a more thorough and complete cleaning.
- Make sure all areas of the mouth are clean.
- Go at least once a year (or every 6 months for cases in which there is an oral pathology), to perform a professional oral cleaning.
At Gross Dentistas we help you to have optimal oral health
At our Gross Dentistas clinic we want you to enjoy a healthy mouth, for this reason we put all our knowledge and all our most innovative tools at your fingertips.
If you want more information about which foods harm your oral health, more advice on oral hygiene or make an appointment to solve a problem or make a consultation… Contact us!