Tongue fungi, also known as oral thrush or thrush, correspond to a common infection that affects many people.
The fungi that cause it belong to the family Candida and can appear visibly in the form of white spots on the tongue and in the mout
Throughout this article, we will explore the symptoms, causes and treatments of fungi on the tongue.
These are the symptoms, causes and treatments of fungus on the tongue
If you have reached this point it is because you are interested in knowing the symptoms, causes and treatments of fungi on the tongue. For this reason, without further delay we show them below:
Symptoms of oral thrush
Symptoms of tongue fungus may include:
- White spots on the tongue and/or mouth
- Pain when swallowing and/or speaking
- Burning and/or itchy feeling in the mouth
- Sensation of sequel in the mouth
In this sense, it is important to mention that babies and children may also have an oral thrush infection, which can cause mouth sores and a loss of appetite.
What are the main causes of tongue fungi?
The main causes of oral candidiasis are:
- Weakened immune system
- Use of medicines such as antibiotics and steroids
- Lack of oral hygiene
Smoking and drinking too much alcohol have also been found to increase the risk of developing a fungal infection in the tongue.
Effective treatments to treat oral thrush
Oral or topical antifungals may be used to treat tongue fungi:
- Oral antifungals, such as fluconazon, are prescribed in the most severe cases of oral thrush and are taken orally for several days.
- Topical antifungals, such as nystatin, are applied directly to the tongue and mouth several times daily.
- Mouth rinses with antifungal medicines may also be used to help fight the infection.
Take steps to prevent tongue fungus
In addition to medical treatments, there are also some steps that can be taken to prevent and treat oral thrush:
- It is important to brush your teeth and tongue every day, after each meal and for two minutes.
- The toothbrush should be soft.
- Toothpaste should contain fluoride.
- Flossing is recommended to remove bacterial plaque and food debris from between the teeth.
Maintaining good oral hygiene can help prevent oral thrush and other infections in the mouth.
On the other hand, it is also recommended to avoid foods and drinks that may worsen the symptoms of tongue fungus. These include:
- Sugary and acidic foods and beverages, such as soft drinks, fruit juices, sweets, among others.
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol, as both weaken the immune system and increase the risk of developing a fungal infection in the tongue.
We specialize in treating oral infections
If you have an oral infection as is the case with tongue fungi, we wait for you in our dental clinic in Malaga, Gross Dentists. There our specialists will evaluate your particular situation and propose the right treatment.
Our extensive knowledge, extensive experience and customer satisfaction guarantee our success.
We are also specialists in the most common dental treatments: orthodontics, dental implants, endodontics, periodontics, among others.
If you want more information on this matter or want to make an appointment, do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to assist you.